What started as a conversation between two watchmakers about their ideal timepiece, became many late nights spent obsessing over the details – materials, proportions, engineering. The end result was the Reference 1.
Grand Feu Enamel Dial
Grand feu, or great fire in English, is one of classical watchmaking’s most difficult arts. Hand-firing soft glass in an oven at around one thousand degrees yields a remarkably lustrous and rich appearance unachievable in any other medium, and immune to fading over time.
Enamel dial-firing is a painstaking process. The majority of dials fired will be rejected on the part of the artisan responsible for the finish.
Micro-rotor automatic Movement
Ticking away within the Reference 1 is a 29-jewel, ultra-thin, micro-rotor automatic movement. Its finishing includes hand-polished bevels and radial côtes de Genève, all visible through the back of the case. The movement is a formidable example of fine, traditional watchmaking.
Hand-finished bevels (chamfering)
Each bridge (pictured here on a holder) of the movement is carefully finished on all of its surfaces, a process known as 'chamfering' in watchmaking. Purely an aesthetic finish, the 45-degree angles around the bridge, known as bevels, are delicately finished by hand. The art of chamfering not only removes machining marks, but glistens in the light and frames each component.
316L Stainless Steel Case
The case, traditionally sized at 38mm, offers an entirely original design. This is a reflection of our values in watchmaking – simple, elegant, but with the devil very much in the details. 316L stainless steel ensures an outstanding degree of hardness and resistance to corrosion.
Semi-Matte Alligator Strap
Each Reference 1 is adorned with a semi-matte strap made of shimmering alligator leather from Louisiana. We offer variable sizing to ensure that all wrist sizes are accommodated.
Available in black, brown and light brown.
All Birchall & Taylor straps are sourced in accordance with CITES.
DIMENSIONS & MATERIALS
- Case diameter (mm): 38.00
- Case thickness (mm): 9.00
- Lug width (mm): 19.00
- Case material: 316L stainless steel
- Dial material: white vitreous enamel (hand fired)
- Crystal: curved sapphire with clear anti-reflective coating
- Caseback: see-through sapphire glass
- Strap material: Louisiana alligator (Mississippiensis)
- Buckle: Folding deployant clasp
- Buckle material: 316L stainless steel
- Thickness (mm): 2.60 (ultra-thin}
- Diameter (mm): 30.00 (13¼ Ligne)
- Number of parts: 176
- Number of jewels: 29
- Frequency: 3 Hz ( 21,600 v.p.h )
- Power-reserve: 48 hours
- Certification: CLA Chronometry - each movement is impartially tested for accurate timekeeping before achieving chronometer certification.
- Features: free-sprung variable inertia balance with gold inertia blocks, ceramic ball bearings in automatic winding assembly, tungsten micro-rotor, hacking seconds
- Decoration: hand beveled bridges, radial Côtes de Genève
- Location of Manufacture: Fleurier, Switzerland
Price in Canadian dollars, tax excluded.
For additional information or inquiries please contact us directly.